Friday, January 21, 2011

Week Six

Practice the universal Loving Kindness (meditation) exercise on p. 93.

I really like this exercise.  It is sad to say, but beginning meditation is hard, it takes devoting time to something new.  This exercise, keeps it simple, it is just four lines and ten minutes and does wonders for your mind and overall feeling.  I also really appreciate having a focus point, the words and the meaning and desire behind them.  Having a blank/still mind is not possible for me at this point. 

Complete the Integral Assessment discussed in chapter 11 (p.105). Describe the exercise and assessment process. What did you discover about yourself? What area have you chosen to be a focus of growth and development? Why?

We take an inventory of the aspects of our life that need work and that we excel in.  There are six principles to the assessment.  1. Which aspects of our life are the most significant sources of distress?  Where is our greatest possibility for growth and development?  2. Both short term relief and long term relief need to be considered.  3.  Long term flourishing comes from the inner self and is sustained, short term pleasure comes from the outside.  4.  Psychospiritual development is essential.  5.  A true assessment needs deep listening and guidance.  6.  The assessment will need to be modified from time to time. 

At this point in time my most significant source of distress is my self esteem, my self acceptance.  I know this, and I chose to work to improve this, because it brings a deep sense of pain. 

What are some specific exercises or activities that you can implement to foster greater wellness in this area?

I don't really know, but I think the main thing is to stop beating myself up. 

2 comments:

  1. It is great Courtney that you realize what your source of distress is. Now can you think of what brings your self esteem down? I know if I can help myself get to the root of the problem it can help to break away the bad barriers that bring me down. I know that self esteem is one of the worst things. I used to have the same problem and then I sat myself down and asked why do I feel this way? I noticed that my insecurities was my weight and looks. Going through high school was so hard and I think that I carried that baggage with me. It was not until I asked myself what can I possibly do to build up my confidence.
    First was getting my friends to support me in losing weight. Just to be a support team. I then started to loose weight and man did that build up my confidence. I then asked my friend that had graduated from cosmetology school to give me some pointers on hair styles and make up. But all of these exterior things only helped a little I needed help inside of me. I know this might sound funny, but playing inter mural co-ed softball. Getting some fun attention from the guys when you smacked the ball to score a point lifted my spirits and helped me to build friendships. Also getting involved in the church, going to bible study and praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney,

    Thank you for your kind words. Every bit of recognition and support really helps me to keep going. Your comments mean a lot. 

    I agree with the Julie (Wellness Tree), prayer really is powerful. Sometimes we need to just find the right prayer. If you need to, write your own prayer, in the word that best describe how you are feeling and ask God for the strength you need to become the person you know you are capable of being.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete